We are dedicated to helping you obtain financial peace of mind by balancing your current needs with your future goals.
What We Do
We provide comprehensive financial planning and investment services on a Fee Only basis. Our firm is a Register Investment Advisory Firm (RIA) registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) with offices in Santa Cruz, Sacramento and Silicon Valley. We pride ourselves on working with you in a collaborative, supportive, “down to earth” manner while utilizing prudent methodologies and state-of-the art tools.
To provide you with a financial plan that helps you achieve your short and long-term goals and helps protect you and your family against the “bad things” that can cause you economic harm. Your investment portfolio will be based on your goals keeping in mind your risk capacity and tolerance. It will also be low cost, tax efficient, easy to understand and designed to provide a high return for your appropriate risk level.
How We Are Different
All of our advisors are Certified Financial Planning professionals, CFP®. We work with you on a team approach, but there is one primary advisor with whom you will interface. Our fees are hourly, project or retainer based. Our fees are never a percentage of assets under management and (unlike 95% of other RIA firms) we will never sell investments or insurance.
The advisors of Chamberlain Financial Planning and Wealth Management are fiduciaries and abide by the following Fiduciary Oath:
- Put the client’s best interests first
- Act with prudence, that is, with the skill, care, diligence and good judgment of a professional
- Do not mislead clients – provide conspicuous, full and fair disclosure of all important facts
- Avoid conflicts of interest
- Fully disclose and fairly manage, in the client’s favor, unavoidable conflicts
When selecting a financial advisor, most consumers assume that the people who provide investment advice are required to act in the clients’ best interest. But that is NOT always the case. Unlike other professions, such as law and medicine, anyone can call himself an investment or financial advisor even if they are really a salesperson.
Under financial laws and regulations, there are two standards of consumer protection. One set is for people who sell financial products such as investment brokers and insurance company representatives.
These salespeople are contractually obligated to place the interests of their employer ahead of the interests of the clients. They operate under the “Suitability Standard” and are regulated by FINRA, which is an industry self-regulatory organization now ruled by a board of governors made up of the majority of industry insiders.
The other set of rules is for those who are registered as investment advisers with the federal Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) or comparable state regulators. Registered Investment Advisers are true “Advisors” and do not sell products. These advisors operate under the Fiduciary Standard and are legally obligated to place your interests first ahead of all else.
No mater if you select our firm or another firm for advice, we strongly recommend that you insist that any advisor you hire is willing to subscribe to the above oath. If they won’t sign the oath, you owe it to yourself to ask why you would trust your financial future to their care.
Please call us if you would like more information about why it is so vitally important to work with a fiduciary when you seek advice. We would be delighted to discuss this subject with you further.
Chamberlain Financial Planning and Wealth Management is proudly affiliated with the following organizations and adheres to their standards of professional excellence and integrity:
The Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards is a professional regulatory organization, which promotes ethics, integrity and professional standards in personal financial planning. Individuals who meet rigorous certification requirements are certified by the CFP Board to use its certification trademark. Michael Chamberlain and Gary Cohen are CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professionals.
For more than 30 years, Dimensional Fund Advisors has helped investors pursue dimensions of higher expected returns through advanced portfolio design, management, and trading. Their enduring philosophy and deep working relationships with the academic community underpin their approach to investing and form the foundation for new strategies.
Michael Chamberlain is a member of The Garrett Planning Network, Inc. (GPN). GPN is a nationwide network of professional, Fee-Only financial advisors. Only 1% of the nation’s financial planning firms are structured this way.
The National Association of Personal Financial Advisors or NAPFA is the largest professional association of comprehensive, Fee-Only financial planners in the United States. With 1,300+ members and affiliates in 45 states, all members of NAPFA subscribe to a fiduciary oath.
fi360 AIF® (Accredited Investment Fiduciary)
To my clients, I will:
- Employ and provide the client information on the Prudent Practices when serving as an investment fiduciary and/or advising other investment fiduciaries.
- Act with honesty and integrity and avoid conflicts of interest, real or perceived.
- Ensure the timely and understandable disclosure of relevant information that is accurate, complete, and objective.
- Be responsible when determining the value of my services and my form of compensation; taking into consideration the time, skill, experience, and special circumstances involved in providing my services.
- Know the limits of my expertise, and refer my clients to colleagues and/or other professionals in connection with issues beyond my knowledge and skills.
- Respect the confidentiality of information acquired in the course of my work, and not disclose such information to others, except when authorized or otherwise legally obligated to do so. I will not use confidential information acquired in the course of my work for my personal advantage.
- Not exploit any relationship or responsibility that has been entrusted to me.