For more detailed overview see each section to the left.
1- Financial Planning- The first step to better understanding where you are financially and provided a basis to better reach your goals in life. Suited to young or old, just starting out in your professional life or already retired.
2- Investment Management- Ongoing help and oversight with your investments utilizing our evidence based investment management process. Suited for those with an overall portfolio of $100,000 to $500,000.
3- Wealth Management. After we complete your Financial Plan and then implement the Investment Management, we collaboratively work with you and your other advisors to help you stay on track to reach your goals. This provides ongoing investment performance reporting, unlimited meetings, phone and email to facilitate your financial peace of mind. Suited for those with an overall portfolio of over $500,000.
The purpose of a financial plan is to understand where you are now and help you to reach your goals in the future. Your plan includes observations, analysis and many recommendations to better balance current needs with future goals. Elements of your financial plan may include some or all of the following topics:
1. Current Financial Status
Your current assets and liabilities (Net worth), income and expenses (Cash flow) are reviewed and documented. Debts and income taxes are reviewed
2. Estate Planning
Your estate planning should be contained in a set of documents that protect you if you should become incapacitated, and provides direction after you are gone. We will review your documents to be certain that they are complete and up to date. We provide recommendation for you to discuss with your attorney. Many people do not have these important safeguards in place, in which case we can refer you to an appropriate estate-planning attorney.
3. Life-style and Asset Protection
Having the right types and appropriate levels of insurance are important to protect you, your family and your heirs against the possibility of catastrophic losses. We review your policies and recommendations are provided so that you can discuss the issues further with your own insurance providers. If need be, we can refer you to the appropriate professionals who can help you put these protections in place.
4. Advanced Planning
We use computer projections to help you make the best financial decisions for retirement, funding education or other goals.
5. Tax Efficiency
No one likes paying more taxes than you really need to pay. Our goal is to make sure that your investments are structured in a way that makes them tax efficient.
6. Investment Review
We do an analysis of your current investments and determine your risk tolerance. Thereafter, an overall asset allocation recommendation will be provided. All recommendations are based on Generally Accepted Investment Principles and Evidence Based Investing. An Investment Policy Statement is also provided for every client.
7. Other Considerations
Any other issue or concern you have should be included in your plan such as stock options, RSUs, Charity or philanthropic desires, Annuity review etc.
The cost of the financial plan can vary based on the complexity and number of elements, but most often totals $2,000 to $4,000.
Approach and Investing Philosophy
Our approach to investing is that your investment portfolio should be based on your goals, be tax efficient, be low cost and easy for you to understand.
Our investing philosophy is based on academic research of market theory that was the basis for several Nobel Prizes in Economics, as well as decades of financial data.
Clients engage our ongoing Investment Management services for numerous reasons. Some, because they don’t have the time, motivation, tools or knowledge to properly manage their own portfolios. Others worry that it may be hard to recover from a market downturn and prefer to have us “on board” to monitor and proactively make portfolio changes.
This level of service is most appropriate for those with $100,000 to $500,000 of investments in their portfolio.
- Determine the appropriate level of risk for your portfolio.
- Have a written investment plan expressed in the Investment Policy Statement (IPS).
- Complete the necessary paperwork to open new accounts.
- Facilitate the transfer of assets.
- Utilize appropriate asset allocations for the highest return given that level of risk.
- Select investments utilizing a multi-step screening process.
- Is based on Generally Accepted Investment Principles
- Is based on Evidence Based Investing
- Construct and maintain a tax efficient portfolio across all accounts.
- Complete the buys and sells of investments in the managed accounts.
- Regularly monitor the portfolio.
- Implement changes as needed based on the client’s Investment Policy Statement.
- Help to monitor your investing behavior and to not over react
- Provide specific recommendations so that you can complete the buys and sells held in your “outside” accounts, i.e. 401(K), 403(b), etc.
We believe that no one cares as much about your investments as you and thus you should be part of the investing process.
- We often utilize passively managed mutual funds and Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs).
- We primarily utilize passively managed mutual funds and Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs).
- Actively managed funds may be used in those asset classes that are less efficient.
- We also provide investment options typically unavailable to the general public, which include institutional share classes and mutual funds from Dimensional Fund Advisors, among others.
- All mutual funds and ETFs have associated expenses; however, we ensure that they are as low as possible and NEVER have commissions.
We do not usually recommend individual stocks and bonds but many of our clients’ portfolios include “legacy” investments that they will continue to hold. We are not affiliated with any financial services firm.
The cost of this service is a an annual retainer amount billed on a quarterly basis, which is determined by the complexity of your situation, the amount of time expected to be needed, the number of accounts, the size of the accounts and the value provided to you. The minimum retainer is $300 a quarter.
Our Wealth Management Service is the consultative process of helping clients to meet their present and future goals by providing ongoing financial and investment advice in conjunction with their tax, insurance and legal advisors.
The clients that engage these services are successful individuals, couples or families that have accumulated a good size nest egg or are high-income earners that are serious about making their nest egg grow. In either case, they know that professional, ongoing, objective, fiduciary advice is the best way to achieve their goals in life. This service is well suited to those with over $500,000 in their portfolio.
The first step to Wealth Management is to have a comprehensive Financial Plan. Next is the Investment Management. The third is the ongoing advice and services to help clients understand their financial situation, make the best decisions and reach their goals.
Our Wealth Management suite of services integrates:
- Assistance with your initial financial plan implementation.
- Coordination amongst your other professional advisory team, which might include: Tax, Insurance Professionals and Legal Counsel (Others, as needed)
- All the services listed in Investment Management
- Quarterly investment performance reporting
- Unlimited meetings, phone calls and emails during the year
- Periodic updates of your financial plan – “How you are doing relative to your goals over time”
The cost of this service is a fixed annual retainer billed on a quarterly basis, which is determined by the complexity of your situation, the amount of time expected over the year, the number of accounts, the size of the accounts and the value provided to you. The minimum retainer is $1,250 a quarter.